verb (used with object), pop·u·lat·ed, pop·u·lat·ing.
- to inhabit; live in; be the inhabitants of.
- to furnish with inhabitants, as by colonization; people.
- to provide a new population for (an area in which the population has declined)
- (often passive) to live in; inhabit
- to provide a population for; colonize or people
1610s, from Medieval Latin populatus, past participle of populare “inhabit, to people,” from Latin populus “inhabitants, people, nation” (see people (n.)). Related: Populated; populating.