- Genetics. a protein that binds DNA at an operator site and thereby prevents transcription of one or more adjacent genes.
- a person or thing that represses.
- biochem a protein synthesized under the control of a repressor gene, which has the capacity to bind to the operator gene and thereby shut off the expression of the structural genes of an operon
- One that represses.
- A protein, especially either of two proteins produced by regulatory genes, that blocks transcription of an operon.
- A protein that binds to an operator, blocking transcription of an operon and the enzymes for which the operon codes.