verb (used with object), sen·si·tized, sen·si·tiz·ing.
- to render sensitive.
- Photography. to render (a film or the like) sensitive to light or other forms of radiant energy.
- Immunology. to render sensitive to an antigenic substance.
verb (used without object), sen·si·tized, sen·si·tiz·ing.
- to become sensitized.
- to make or become sensitive
- (tr) to render (an individual) sensitive to a drug, allergen, etc
- (tr) photog to make (a material) sensitive to light or to other actinic radiation, esp to light of a particular colour, by coating it with a photographic emulsion often containing special chemicals, such as dyes
- To make hypersensitive or reactive to an antigen, such as pollen, especially by repeated exposure.