- a person who responds or makes reply.
- Law. a defendant, especially in appellate and divorce proceedings.
- giving a response; answering; responsive.
- Law. being a respondent.
- Psychology. of or relating to behavior that occurs consistently in response to a particular stimulus.
- Obsolete. corresponding.
- law a person against whom a petition, esp in a divorce suit, or appeal is brought
- a less common word for responsive
1520s, “one who answers,” from Latin respondentem (nominative respondens), present participle of respondere (see respond).