verb (used with object), re·took, re·tak·en, re·tak·ing.
- the act of photographing or filming again.
- a picture, scene, sequence, etc., that is to be or has been photographed or filmed again.
verb (riːˈteɪk) -takes, -taking, -took or -taken (tr)
- to take back or capture againto retake a fortress
- films to shoot again (a shot or scene)
- to tape again (a recording)
- films a rephotographed shot or scene
- a retaped recording
mid-15c., “to take back,” from re- “back, again” + take (v.). Meaning “to recapture” is recorded from 1640s; sense of “to record a second time” is attested from 1962. Related: Retook; retaking; retaken. As a noun from 1918; figurative use from 1937.