verb (used with object), ver·i·fied, ver·i·fy·ing.
- to prove the truth of, as by evidence or testimony; confirm; substantiate: Events verified his prediction.
- to ascertain the truth or correctness of, as by examination, research, or comparison: to verify a spelling.
- to act as ultimate proof or evidence of; serve to confirm.
- to prove or confirm (an allegation).
- to state to be true, especially in legal use, formally or upon oath.
verb -fies, -fying or -fied (tr)
- to prove to be true; confirm; substantiate
- to check or determine the correctness or truth of by investigation, reference, etc
- law to add a verification to (a pleading); substantiate or confirm (an oath)