- of, pertaining to, characterized by, or of the nature of a revolution, or a sudden, complete, or marked change: a revolutionary junta.
- radically new or innovative; outside or beyond established procedure, principles, etc.: a revolutionary discovery.
- (initial capital letter) of or relating to the American Revolution or to the period contemporaneous with it in U.S. history: Revolutionary heroes; Revolutionary weapons.
noun, plural rev·o·lu·tion·ar·ies.
- a revolutionist.
noun plural -aries
- a person who advocates or engages in revolution
- relating to or characteristic of a revolution
- advocating or engaged in revolution
- radically new or differenta revolutionary method of making plastics
- rotating or revolving
- mainly US of or relating to the conflict or period of the War of American Independence (1775–83)
- of or relating to any of various other Revolutions, esp the Russian Revolution (1917) or the French Revolution (1789)