- (in mosses, ferns, etc.) one of the rootlike filaments by which the plant is attached to the substratum.
- any of various slender hairlike structures that function as roots in the gametophyte generation of mosses, ferns, and related plants
- Having irregular branching. Used of a form of bacterial growth.
- A slender rootlike filament by which mosses, liverworts, and fern gametophytes attach to the substratum and absorb nourishment.
- A rootlike extension of the thallus of a fungus.
- A slender, rootlike filament by which mosses, liverworts, and the gametophytes of ferns attach themselves to the material in which they grow.
- A branching, rootlike extension by which algae and fungi absorb water and nutrients.