- people, or a group of people, regarded as disreputable or worthless: a pack of riffraff.
- the lowest classes; rabble: the riffraff of the city.
- trash; rubbish.
- worthless, disreputable, or trashy.
noun (sometimes functioning as plural)
- worthless people, esp collectively; rabble
- dialect worthless rubbish
also riff-raff, late 15c., from earlier rif and raf “one and all, everybody, every scrap,” also “sweepings, refuse” (mid-14c.), from Old French rif et raf, from rifler “to spoil, strip” (see rifle (v.)). Second element from raffler “carry off,” related to rafle “plundering,” or from raffer “to snatch, to sweep together” (see raffle (n.)).