- a person who rises, especially from bed: to be an early riser.
- the vertical face of a stair step.
- any of a group of long boards or narrow platforms that can be combined in stepwise fashion: The choir stood on a horseshoe of risers behind the orchestra.
- a vertical pipe, duct, or conduit.
- Metallurgy. a chamber or enlarged opening at the top of a mold for allowing air to escape or adding extra metal.
- a heavy strake of planking in the vicinity of the garboard strake in a wooden vessel.
- rising(def 10).
- a person who rises, esp from bedan early riser
- the vertical part of a stair or step
- a vertical pipe, esp one within a building
late 14c., “rebel,” agent noun from rise (v.). Meaning “one who rises” (from bed, in a certain manner) is mid-15c. Meaning “upright part of a step” is from 1771.