- an obstruction placed across a road, especially of barricades or police cars, for halting or hindering traffic, as to facilitate the capture of a pursued car or inspection for safety violations.
- an obstruction on a road, as a fallen tree or a pile of fallen rocks.
- a hastily built barricade, as of barbed wire, erected across a road to hold up the advance of an enemy.
- an action, condition, etc., that obstructs progress toward an objective: Nationalism is a roadblock to European unity.
verb (used with object)
- to halt or obstruct with or as if with a roadblock.
- a barrier set up across a road by the police or military, in order to stop a fugitive, inspect traffic, etc
- a difficulty or obstacle to progress