- a person who samples.
- a piece of cloth embroidered with various stitches, serving to show a beginner’s skill in needlework.
- a collection of samples, selections, etc.: a sampler of French poetry.
- an electronic device that digitally encodes and stores samples of sound.
- a person who takes samples
- a piece of embroidery executed as an example of the embroiderer’s skill in using a variety of stitches: often incorporating numbers, letters, and the name and age of the embroiderer in a decorative panel
- music a piece of electronic equipment used for sampling
- a recording comprising a collection of tracks from other albums, intended to stimulate interest in the featured products
n.“embroidery specimen by a beginner to show skill,” 1520s, from sample (n.); earlier “pattern, model, example to be imitated” (early 14c.). The connecting notion is probably “piece of embroidery serving as a pattern to be copied, or to fix and retain the pattern.” As “a collection of samples” from 1912.