- Samuel,1797–1868, Irish novelist, painter, and songwriter.
- a person, now esp a man, who has an extramarital or premarital sexual relationship with another person
- (often plural) either of the two people involved in a love affair
- someone who loves a specified person or thinga lover of music
- (in combination)a music-lover; a cat-lover
n.early 13c., agent noun from love (v.). Old English had lufend for male lovers, lufestre for women. Meaning “one who has a predilection for” (a thing, concept, pursuit, etc.) is mid-14c. As a form of address to a lover, from 1911. Related: Loverly.