- of or relating to health or the conditions affecting health, especially with reference to cleanliness, precautions against disease, etc.
- favorable to health; free from dirt, bacteria, etc.: a sanitary washroom.
- providing healthy cleanliness: a sanitary wrapper on all sandwiches.
- of or relating to health and measures for the protection of health
- conducive to or promoting health; free from dirt, germs, etc; hygienic
adj.1823, “pertaining to health,” from French sanitaire (1812), from Latin sanitas “health,” from sanus “healthy; sane” (see sane). In reference to menstrual pads, first attested 1881 (in sanitary towel). adj.
- Of or relating to health.
- Free from elements, such as filth or pathogens, that endanger health; hygienic.