noun, plural sco·ri·ae [skawr-ee-ee, skohr-] /ˈskɔr iˌi, ˈskoʊr-/.
- Metallurgy. the refuse, dross, or slag left after melting or smelting metal; scum.
- Geology. a cinderlike basic cellular lava.
noun plural -riae (-rɪˌiː)
- a rough cindery crust on top of solidified lava flows containing numerous vesicles
- refuse obtained from smelted ore; slag
Plural scoriae (skôr′ē-ē′)
- Rough, crusty, solidified lava containing numerous vesicles that originated as gas bubbles in the lava while it was still molten.