- either of two small Old World plants, Myosotis sylvatica or M. scorpioides, of the borage family, having a light-blue flower commonly regarded as an emblem of constancy and friendship.
- any of several other plants of the genus Myosotis.
- any of various similar plants, especially of the genus Anchusa or Cynoglossum.
- another name for forget-me-not
- any temperate low-growing plant of the mainly European boraginaceous genus Myosotis, having clusters of small typically blue flowersAlso called: scorpion grass
n.the flowering plant Myosotis palustris, 1530s, from Old French ne m’oubliez mye; in 15c. the flower was supposed to ensure that those wearing it should never be forgotten by their lovers. Similar loan-translations took the name into other languages, cf. German Vergißmeinnicht, Swedish forgätmigej, Hungarian nefelejcs, Czech nezabudka.