- any of various vessels having a flat-bottomed rectangular hull with sloping ends, built in various sizes with or without means of propulsion, as barges, punts, rowboats, or sailboats.
- Eastern U.S. a barge carrying bulk material in an open hold.
- an old or clumsy boat; hulk; tub.
verb (used with object)
- to transport by scow.
- an unpowered barge used for freight; lighter
- (esp in the midwestern US) a sailing yacht with a flat bottom, designed to plane
n.“large flat-bottomed boat,” 1780, from Dutch schouw “a ferry boat, punt,” from Middle Dutch scouwe, related to Old English scaldan, Old Saxon scaldan “to push (a boat) from shore.”