- a receipt, certificate, list, or similar brief piece of writing.
- a scrap of paper.
- a certificate representing a fraction of a share of stock.
- a certificate to be exchanged for goods, as at a company store.
- a certificate indicating the right of the holder to receive payment later in the form of cash, goods, or land.
- paper currency in denominations of less than one dollar, formerly issued in the United States.
- a written certificate, list, etc
- a small scrap, esp of paper with writing on it
- a certificate representing a claim to part of a share of stock
- the shares allocated in a bonus issue
- archaic a small bag or wallet, as carried by pilgrims
- informal a medical prescription
n.“certificate of a right to receive something” (especially a stock share), 1762, probably shortened from (sub)scrip(tion) receipt. Originally “receipt for a portion of a loan subscribed,” meaning “certificate issued as currency” first recorded 1790.