- the hand that indicates the seconds on a clock or watch.
- an assistant or helper, as to a worker or foreman.
- at second hand, from or through an intermediate source or means; secondhand: She had the news at second hand.
- previously owned or used
- not from an original source or experience
- dealing in or selling goods that are not newa second-hand car dealer
- from a source of previously owned or used goodshe prefers to buy second-hand
- not directlyhe got the news second-hand
- a pointer on the face of a timepiece that indicates the secondsCompare hour hand, minute hand
adj.also secondhand, late 15c., from second (adj.) + hand (n.). see at second hand.