- the officials or office entrusted with administrative duties, maintaining records, and overseeing or performing secretarial duties, especially for an international organization: the secretariat of the United Nations.
- a group or department of secretaries.
- the place where a secretary transacts business, preserves records, etc.
- an office responsible for the secretarial, clerical, and administrative affairs of a legislative body, executive council, or international organization
- the staff of such an office
- the building or rooms in which such an office is housed
- a body of secretaries
- a secretary’s place of work; office
- the position of a secretary
n.“office of secretary,” 1811, from French secrétariat, from Medieval Latin secretariatus, from secretarius (see secretary). Meaning “division of the Central Committeee of the USSR” is from 1926, from Russian sekretariat.