- of or relating to sectaries or sects.
- narrowly confined or devoted to a particular sect.
- narrowly confined or limited in interest, purpose, scope, etc.
- a member of a sect.
- a bigoted or narrow-minded adherent of a sect.
- of, belonging or relating to, or characteristic of sects or sectaries
- adhering to a particular sect, faction, or doctrine
- narrow-minded, esp as a result of rigid adherence to a particular sect
- a member of a sect or faction, esp one who is bigoted in his adherence to its doctrines or in his intolerance towards other sects, etc
adj.1640s, originally applied by Presbyterians to Independents, from Medieval Latin sectarius, from secta (see sect).