adjective, seem·li·er, seem·li·est.
- fitting or becoming with respect to propriety or good taste; decent; decorous: Your outburst of rage was hardly seemly.
- suitable or appropriate; fitting: a seemly gesture.
- of pleasing appearance; handsome.
- in a seemly manner; fittingly; becomingly.
adjective -lier or -liest
- proper or fitting
- obsolete pleasing or handsome in appearance
- archaic properly or decorously
adj.“of pleasing or good appearance,” also “proper, tasteful, decorous,” early 13c., semlich, from Old Norse soemiligr “becoming, honorable,” from soemr (see seem). Related: Seemliness. Cf. Old Norse soemleitr “fine to look at.”