- the act of estimating or judging the nature or value of something or someone.
- an estimate of value, as for sale, assessment, or taxation; valuation.
- an estimate or considered opinion of the nature, quality, importance, etc: the critics’ appraisal of pop art; an incorrect appraisal of public opinion.
- an assessment or estimation of the worth, value, or quality of a person or thingSee also performance appraisal
- a valuation of property or goods
n.“setting of a price,” by 1784, American English, from appraise + -al (2). Figurative sense, “act of appraising” (originally a term of literary criticism) is from 1817. A formal evaluation of property by an expert, used to establish its market value.