- having knowledge; conscious; cognizant: aware of danger.
- informed; alert; knowledgeable; sophisticated: She is one of the most politically aware young women around.
- conscious of one’s own feelings, character, etc
- (postpositive foll by of) having knowledge; cognizantaware of his error
- informed of current developmentspolitically aware
adj.1892, from self- + aware. adj.late Old English gewær, from Proto-Germanic *ga-waraz (cf. Old Saxon giwar, Middle Dutch gheware, Old High German giwar, German gewahr), from *ga-, intensive prefix, + wær “wary, cautious” (see wary).