- containing in oneself or itself all that is necessary; independent.
- reserved or uncommunicative.
- self-controlled or self-possessed.
- (of a machine or mechanism) complete in itself.
- containing within itself all parts necessary for completeness
- (of a flat) having its own kitchen, bathroom, and lavatory not shared by others and usually having its own entrance
- able or tending to keep one’s feelings, thoughts, etc, to oneself; reserved
- able to control one’s feelings or emotions in the presence of others
adj.1590s, from self- + contained (see contain).