noun, plural re·spon·si·bil·i·ties.
- the state or fact of being responsible, answerable, or accountable for something within one’s power, control, or management.
- an instance of being responsible: The responsibility for this mess is yours!
- a particular burden of obligation upon one who is responsible: the responsibilities of authority.
- a person or thing for which one is responsible: A child is a responsibility to its parents.
- reliability or dependability, especially in meeting debts or payments.
- on one’s own responsibility, on one’s own initiative or authority: He changed the order on his own responsibility.
noun plural -ties
- the state or position of being responsible
- a person or thing for which one is responsible
- the ability or authority to act or decide on one’s own, without supervision
n.“condition of being responsible,” 1787, from responsible + -ity. Meaning “that for which one is responsible” is from 1796. Related: Responsibilities.