- pertaining to, containing, or consisting of semen.
- Botany. of or relating to seed.
- having possibilities of future development.
- highly original and influencing the development of future events: a seminal artist; seminal ideas.
- potentially capable of development
- highly original, influential, and important
- rudimentary or unformed
- of or relating to semenseminal fluid
- biology of or relating to seed
adj.late 14c., “of seed or semen,” from Old French seminal (14c.) and directly from Latin seminalis, from semen (genitive seminis) “seed” (see semen). Figurative sense of “full of possibilities” is attested from 1630s. Related: Seminally; seminality. adj.
- Of, relating to, containing, or conveying semen or seed.