noun, plural Shaw·nees, (especially collectively) Shaw·nee.
- a member of an Algonquian-speaking tribe formerly in the east-central U.S., now in Oklahoma.
- the Algonquian language of the Shawnee tribe.
- a town in E Kansas.
- a city in central Oklahoma.
- plural -nees or -nee a member of a North American Indian people formerly living along the Tennessee River
- the language of this people, belonging to the Algonquian family
Algonquian people, probably originally from what is now southern Ohio, 1670s, from Munsee sawanow, from Shawnee /ša:wanwa/, the people’s self-designation, literally “person of the south.”