verb (used without object)
- to shine with or reflect a subdued, tremulous light; gleam faintly.
- to appear to quiver or vibrate in faint light or while reflecting heat waves.
- a subdued, tremulous light or gleam.
- a quivering or vibrating motion or image as produced by reflecting faint light or heat waves.
- (intr) to shine with a glistening or tremulous light
- a faint, glistening, or tremulous light
v.Old English scimerian “to glitter, shimmer, glisten, shine,” related to (perhaps a frequentative of) scimian “to shine,” from Proto-Germanic *skim- (cf. Swedish skimra, Dutch schemeren “to glitter,” German schimmern), from PIE root *skai- “to gleam, to shine” (see shine (v.). Related: Shimmered; shimmering. n.“a tremulous light,” 1821, from shimmer (v.).