- a person or thing that shines.
- Slang. black eye(def 1).
- any of various small American freshwater fishes having glistening scales, especially a minnow.
- any of various silvery, marine fishes, as the menhaden or butterfish.
- a defect in silk or synthetic filament or fabric, produced either in the process of winding or as a result of shuttle friction and appearing on fabric as a shiny streak.
- something that shines, such as a polishing device
- any of numerous small North American freshwater cyprinid fishes of the genus Notropis and related genera, such as N. cornutus (common shiner) and Notemigonus crysoleucas (golden shiner)
- a popular name for the mackerel
- informal a black eye
- NZ old-fashioned, informal a vagrant or tramp