verb (used with object)
- to draw up or gather (cloth or the like) on three or more parallel threads.
- to bake (eggs removed from the shell) in a shallow dish or in individual dishes.
- Also shirr·ing. a shirred arrangement, as of cloth.
- to gather (fabric) into two or more parallel rows to decorate a dress, blouse, etc, often using elastic thread
- (tr) to bake (eggs) out of their shells
noun Also: shirring
- a series of gathered rows decorating a dress, blouse, etc
“to gather (cloth) on parallel threads,” 1860 (implied in shirring), back-formation from shirred (1847), from shirr (n.) “elastic webbing,” of unknown origin.