- a person who shoots with a gun, bow, etc.: efforts to capture the shooter.
- a gun (often used in combination): a six-shooter.
- a person who shoots a ball, puck, etc., at a goal.
- a thing that shoots: The meteor shower had many bright shooters.
- a marble used to shoot at other marbles in a game.
- a person who sets off explosives in oil-drilling operations.
- Informal. a professional or amateur photographer.
- first-person shooter.
- a person or thing that shoots
- slang a gun
- cricket a ball that unexpectedly travels low on pitching
Old English sceotere “one who shoots,” agent noun from shoot (v.). As a type of gun from 1812; as a small alcoholic drink, 1971. Shootee is attested from 1837.