silver-plate [sil-ver-pleyt] Examples verb (used with object), sil·ver-plat·ed, sil·ver-plat·ing.
- to coat (base metal) with silver, especially by electroplating.
silver plate noun
- silver tableware.
- a coating of silver, especially one electroplated on base metal.
Origin of silver plate First recorded in 1520–30 Examples from the Web for silver-plate Historical Examples of silver-plate
And how came it that all this silver-plate had found its way into my pockets?
From sedan chairs to silver-plate their style was the vogue.
His desires, however, were not limited to silver-plate engraving.
We forge the nickel for the pivot and capstan, and we silver-plate it ourselves.
Cyril Arthur Edward Ranger Gull
The three thousand francs were gone, with the silver-plate and the trinkets.
Honore de Balzac
British Dictionary definitions for silver-plate silver plate noun
- a thin layer of silver deposited on a base metal
- articles, esp tableware, made of silver plate
- (tr) to coat (a metal, object, etc) with silver, as by electroplating