- a person or thing that skins.
- a person who prepares or deals in skins or hides.
- a person who drives draft animals, as mules or oxen.
- the operator of a piece of heavy equipment used in clearing land or in construction work, as a tractor or bulldozer.
- any of a band of irregular cavalry operating in the neutral ground of Westchester County, New York, during the American Revolution and claiming loyalty to both the British and American troops but preying on all persons indiscriminately.Compare cowboy(def 5).