verb (used with object), smote or (Obsolete) smit; smit·ten or smit; smit·ing.
- to strike or hit hard, with or as with the hand, a stick, or other weapon: She smote him on the back with her umbrella.
- to deliver or deal (a blow, hit, etc.) by striking hard.
- to strike down, injure, or slay: His sword had smitten thousands.
- to afflict or attack with deadly or disastrous effect: smitten by polio.
- to affect mentally or morally with a sudden pang: His conscience smote him.
- to affect suddenly and strongly with a specified feeling: They were smitten with terror.
- to impress favorably; charm; enamor: He was smitten by her charms.