noun, plural T’s or Ts, t’s or ts.
- the 20th letter of the English alphabet, a consonant.
- any spoken sound represented by the letter T or t, as in tub, but, or butter.
- something having the shape of a T.
- a written or printed representation of the letter T or t.
- a device, as a printer’s type, for reproducing the letter T or t.
- to a T, exactly; perfectly: That job would suit you to a T.Also to a tee.
- a random variable having Student’s t distribution.
- the statistic employed in Student’s t-test.
noun (sometimes lowercase)
- Electricity. tesla; teslas.
- Physics. temperature.
- the 20th in order or in a series, or, when I is omitted, the 19th.
- (sometimes lowercase) the medieval Roman numeral for 160.Compare Roman numerals.
- surface tension.
- Photography. T number.
- tau lepton.
- time reversal.
- the launching time of a rocket or missile: T minus two.
- a shortened form of it, before or after a verb, as in ’twas, ’tis, do’t, see’t.
- Chemistry. tertiary.
- U.S. Military. (in designations of aircraft) trainer: T-11.
- in the time of.
- Football. tackle.
- taken from.
- teaspoon; teaspoonful.
- Grammar. tense.
- tablespoon; tablespoonful.
- variant of -ed1 used in forming the past tense or past participle of certain verbs, usually occurring when the final consonant of the stem is voiceless, a lateral, or a nasal and there is internal vowel change in the root: slept; felt; dreamt.
- the 19th letter of the Greek alphabet (T, τ).
- the consonant sound represented by this letter.
- Also tau·on [tou-on] /ˈtaʊ ɒn/. Physics. tau lepton.
- Also called tau protein. Biochemistry. a protein that is an important component of nerve cells, helping to maintain their function and structure: in the brain, distortions in the protein’s molecular shape is associated with the onset of Alzheimer’s disease.
noun plural t’s, T’s or Ts
- the 20th letter and 16th consonant of the modern English alphabet
- a speech sound represented by this letter, usually a voiceless alveolar stop, as in tame
- something shaped like a T
- (in combination)a T-junction
- to a T in every detail; perfectlythe work suited her to a T
- troy (weight)
- statistics distribution
- statistics See Student’s t
- absolute temperature
- chem tritium
- biochem thymine
- surface tension
- Thailand (international car registration)
- trainer (aircraft)T-37
- commerce tare
- music tempo
- grammar tense
- the 19th letter in the Greek alphabet (Τ, τ), a consonant, transliterated as t
to cross one’s T’s (and dot one’s i’s) “to be exact” is attested from 1849. Phrase to a T “exactly” is recorded from 1690s, though the exact signification is uncertain, despite much speculation. The measuring tool called a T-square is recorded by that name from 1785. nineteenth letter of the Greek alphabet, from Hebrew taw, last letter of the Hebrew alphabet, literally “sign, mark.” abbr.
- The 19th letter of the Greek alphabet.
- Abbreviation of temperature, tesla, thymine
- The symbol for the isotope tritium.
see dot the i’s and cross the t’s; to a T.