- Music. any of various systems of music notation using letters, numbers, or other signs to indicate the strings, frets, keys, etc., to be played.
- a tabular space, surface, or structure.
- music any of a number of forms of musical notation, esp for playing the lute, consisting of letters and signs indicating rhythm and fingering
- an engraved or painted tablet or other flat surface
n.type of musical notation for lute or stringed instrument, 1570s, from French tablature (1550s), from Latin tabula “table” (see table (n.)); influenced by Italian tavolatura, from tavolare “to board, plank, enclose with boards.” n.
- An engraved tablet or surface.
- The cranial bones considered as two laminae separated by the diploe.