- a city in and the capital of Florida, in the N part.
- a state in the SE United States between the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico. 58,560 sq. mi. (151,670 sq. km). Capital: Tallahassee. Abbreviation: FL (for use with zip code), Fla.
- Straits of. Also called Florida Straits, Florida Strait. an ocean passage between the Florida Keys and Cuba connecting the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean.
- a city in N Florida, capital of the state: two universities. Pop: 153 938 (2003 est)
- a state of the southeastern US, between the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico: consists mostly of a low-lying peninsula ending in the Florida Keys a chain of small islands off the coast of S Florida, extending southwest for over 160 km (100 miles). Capital: Tallahassee. Pop: 17 019 068 (2003 est). Area: 143 900 sq km (55 560 sq miles)Abbreviation: Fla., (with zip code) FL
- Straits of Florida a sea passage between the Florida Keys and Cuba, linking the Atlantic with the Gulf of Mexico
place in Florida, U.S.A., 1799, from Muskogee tvlvhasse, name of a tribal town, perhaps from etvlwv “tribal town” + vhasse “old, rancid.” U.S. state, formerly a Spanish colony, probably from Spanish Pascua florida, literally “flowering Easter,” a Spanish name for Palm Sunday, because the peninsula was discovered on that day (March 20, 1513) by the expedition of Spanish explorer Ponce de León (1474-1521). From Latin floridus (see florid). The southeasternmost state of the contiguous United States, bordered by Alabama and Georgia to the north, the Atlantic Ocean to the east and south, and the Gulf of Mexico and Alabama to the west. Its capital is Tallahassee, and its largest city is Jacksonville.