noun, plural Tam·ils, (especially collectively) Tam·il.
- a member of a people of Dravidian stock of S India and Sri Lanka.
- the Dravidian language of the Tamils, spoken in India principally in Tamil Nadu state and in Sri Lanka on the N and E coasts.
- of or relating to the Tamils or their language.
- plural -ils or -il a member of a mixed Dravidian and Caucasoid people of S India and Sri Lanka
- the language of this people: the state language of Tamil Nadu, also spoken in Sri Lanka and elsewhere, belonging to the Dravidian family of languages
- of or relating to this people or their language
Dravidian people and language of southern India, 1734, from Pali Damila, from Sanskrit Dramila, variant of Dravida (see Dravidian).