- Also called mandarin, mandarin orange. any of several varieties of mandarin, cultivated widely, especially in the U.S.
- deep orange; reddish orange.
- of the color tangerine; reddish-orange.
- an Asian citrus tree, Citrus reticulata, cultivated for its small edible orange-like fruits
- the fruit of this tree, having a loose rind and sweet spicy flesh
- a reddish-orange colour
- (as adjective)a tangerine door
- a native of inhabitant of Tangier
- of or relating to Tangier or its inhabitants
n.1842, from tangerine orange (1841) “an orange from Tangier,” seaport in northern Morocco, from which it was originally imported to Britain. The place name is from Latin Tinge. As a color name, attested from 1899.