- a small mountain lake or pool, especially one in a cirque.
- a department in S France. 2232 sq. mi. (5780 sq. km). Capital: Albi.
- a small mountain lake or pool
- a department of S France, in Midi-Pyrénées region. Capital: Albi. Pop: 350 477 (2003 est). Area: 5780 sq km (2254 sq miles)
- a river in SW France, rising in the Massif Central and flowing generally west to the Garonne River. Length: 375 km (233 miles)
n.mid-13c., from Old Norse tjorn “small mountain lake without tributaries,” from Proto-Germanic *terno, perhaps originally “water hole.” A dialectal word popularized by the Lake poets.
- A small mountain lake, especially one formed as a glacier melts, filling a cirque with water.