verb (used with object)
- to prepare or dress (some raw material) for use or further manipulation.
- to transform the skin of an animal into white leather by the application of minerals, emulsions, etc.
- Archaic. to flog; thrash.
- the line from which the players shoot in marbles
- back to taws Australian informal back to the beginning
- a large marble used for shooting
- a game of marbles
- to convert (skins) into white leather by treatment with mineral salts, such as alum and salt, rather than by normal tanning processes
- archaic, or dialect to flog; beat
v.“to prepare” (leather), from Old English tawian “to do, make,” from Proto-Germanic *tawojan (cf. Old Frisian tawa, Old Saxon toian, Middle Dutch tauwen, Dutch touwen, Old High German zouwen “to prepare,” Old High German zawen “to succeed,” Gothic taujan “to make, prepare”), probably related to the root of Old English tol “tool” (see tool).