- Sometimes telecommunication. (used with a singular verb) the transmission of information, as words, sounds, or images, usually over great distances, in the form of electromagnetic signals, as by telegraph, telephone, radio, or television.
- Sometimes telecommunication. (used with a singular verb) the science and technology of such communication.
- telecommunication, a message so transmitted.
- of or relating to telecommunications.
- the telegraphic or telephonic communication of audio, video, or digital information over a distance by means of radio waves, optical signals, etc, or along a transmission line
- (functioning as singular) the science and technology of communications by telephony, radio, television, etc
n.1932, from French télécommunication (see tele- + communication). Related: Telecommunications.
- The science and technology of sending and receiving information such as sound, visual images, or computer data over long distances through the use of electrical, radio, or light signals, using electronic devices to encode the information as signals and to decode the signals as information.