- any of certain devices or attachments for determining distances by measuring the angle subtending a known distance.
- Electricity. the complete measuring, transmitting, and receiving apparatus for indicating, recording, or integrating at a distance, by electrical translating means, the value of a quantity.
verb (used with object)
- to transmit (radio signals, data, etc.) automatically and at a distance, as between a ground station and an artificial satellite, space probe, or the like, especially in order to record information, operate guidance apparatus, etc.
verb (used without object)
- to telemeter radio signals, data, etc.
- any device for recording or measuring a distant event and transmitting the data to a receiver or observer
- any device or apparatus used to measure a distance without directly comparing it with a measuring rod, etc, esp one that depends on the measurement of angles
- (tr) to obtain and transmit (data) from a distant source, esp from a spacecraft
n.1860, a rangefinder for surveying and artillery, from French télémètre (1852), from télé- “far” (see tele-) + mètre “meter” (see -meter). Used from 1953 for a pay-as-you-watch TV system with a coin box attached to the set.