- (sometimes initial capital letter) a two-way teletypewriter service channeled through a public telecommunications system for instantaneous, direct communication between subscribers at remote locations.
- a teletypewriter used to send or receive on such a service.
- a message transmitted by telex.
verb (used with object)
- to send (a message) by telex: We telex instructions to the agent.
- to send a message by telex to: They telexed the Paris office.
- an international telegraph service in which teleprinters are rented out to subscribers for the purpose of direct communication
- a teleprinter used in such a service
- a message transmitted or received by telex
- to transmit (a message) to (a person, office, etc) by telex
1932, “a communication system of teletypewriters,” from tel(etype) ex(change).