- lasting, existing, serving, or effective for a time only; not permanent: a temporary need; a temporary job.
noun, plural tem·po·rar·ies.
- an office worker hired, usually through an agency on a per diem basis, for a short period of time.
- not permanent; provisionaltemporary accommodation
- lasting only a short time; transitorytemporary relief from pain
noun plural -raries
- a person, esp a secretary or other office worker, employed on a temporary basisOften shortened to: temp
adj.1540s, from Latin temporarius “of seasonal character, lasting a short time,” from tempus (genitive temporis) “time, season” (see temporal). The noun meaning “person employed only for a time” is recorded from 1848.