- pertaining to, consisting of, or representing the earth as distinct from other planets.
- of or relating to land as distinct from water.
- growing on land; not aquatic.
- growing in the ground; not epiphytic or aerial.
- Zoology. living on or in the ground; not aquatic, arboreal, or aerial.
- of or relating to the earth or this world; worldly; mundane.
- an inhabitant of the earth, especially a human being.
- of or relating to the earth
- of or belonging to the land as opposed to the sea or air
- (of animals and plants) living or growing on the land
- earthly, worldly, or mundane
- (of television signals) sent over the earth’s surface from a transmitter on land, rather than by satellite
- an inhabitant of the earth
adj.early 15c., from Latin terrestris “earthly,” from terra “earth” (see terrain). Originally opposed to celestial; natural history sense of “living on land” is attested from 1630s. The noun meaning “a human being, a mortal” is recorded from 1590s.
- Relating to Earth or its inhabitants.
- Relating to, living on, or growing on land.