- Prosody. a verse of four feet.
- Classical Prosody. a line consisting of four dipodies in trochaic, iambic, or anapestic meter.
- Prosody. consisting of four metrical feet.
- a line of verse consisting of four metrical feet
- a verse composed of such lines
- (in classical prosody) a line of verse composed of four dipodies
n.1610s, from Latin tetrametrus, from Greek tetrametron “verse of four measures,” originally neuter of tetrametros (adj.) “having four measures,” from tetra- “four” (see tetra-) + metron “measure” (see meter (n.2)).