- a river in S England, flowing E through London to the North Sea. 209 miles (336 km) long.
- a river in SE Canada, in Ontario province, flowing SW to Lake St. Clair. 160 miles (260 km) long.
- an estuary in SE Connecticut, flowing S past New London to Long Island Sound. 15 miles (24 km) long.
- (tɛmz) a river in S England, rising in the Cotswolds in several headstreams and flowing generally east through London to the North Sea by a large estuary. Length: 346 km (215 miles)Ancient name: Tamesis (ˈtæməsɪs)
- (teɪmz, θeɪmz) a river in SE Canada, in Ontario, flowing south to London, then southwest to Lake St Clair. Length: 217 km (135 miles)
Old English Temese, from Latin Tamesis (51 B.C.E.), from British Tamesa, an ancient Celtic river name perhaps meaning “the dark one.” The -h- is unhistorical (see th).