- a person trained in the use of physical methods, as exercises, heat treatments, etc., in treating or rehabilitating the sick or wounded or helping patients overcome physical defects.
- a person trained in the use of psychological methods for helping patients overcome psychological problems.
- Also ther·a·peu·tist [ther-uh–pyoo-tist] /ˌθɛr əˈpyu tɪst/. a person, as a doctor, skilled in therapeutics.
- a person skilled in a particular type of therapya physical therapist
n.1886, from therapy + -ist; earlier was therapeutist (1816). Especially of psychotherapy practitioners from c.1930s. n.
- One who specializes in the provision of a particular therapy.